Friday, May 6, 2011

Free Comic Book Day Gives Me a Mjolnir!

Mrs. TheTravis and I went to the pictures last night to see Thor. No spoilers here, but allow me to give it a hearty thumbs up as a certified good time.
Most comic book movies have a big problem, in my humble opinion – they’re embarrassed to be comic book movies. So they make stupid decisions to adapt the material that end up hurting the movie. Marvel’s “Avengers” ramp-ups (Iron Man, Hulk, and now Thor) have been largely free of this. And their embracing of the source material has made for far more enjoyable movies than we might have otherwise had.
A reminder to all of my non-comic book obsessed friends and family that tomorrow is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. It’s a fine annual tradition where participating friendly local comic shops have comics available that they will quite literally just GIVE AWAY to the public.
A couple notes on FCBD etiquette:
1. Not ALL of the comics in the store are free. I am amazed that every year I try to promote FCBD, and some jagoff of my acquaintance says, “EVERYTHING is free? That’s so stupid of them. I’m gonna get Spider-Man #1 and sell it to buy a new flat-screen TV!”
2. Although, obviously no purchase is necessary, I would encourage all to spend a minute or three looking around the shop. I am of the religious conviction that EVERYONE can find a comic or comics that they will love, given a little bit of effort, and the advice of a good comic shop employee (or a helpful fan like myself). So don’t just roll in, grab your free swag, and then bail. Maybe poke around a bit and do some shopping.
3. Bring the kids! Get them hooked on the joys of reading in general, and comics in specific.
Bonus Feature: My favorite FCBD story:
Free Comic Book Day is always the first Saturday in May. One fine year, the wife and I decided we would take the pilgrimage up to Northampton, Massachussetts to spend the day in one of our favorite towns and to enjoy the FCBD stylings of Modern Myths, the absolutely superior shop run by our friend Jim.
Driving through “the Hamp” towards the store, I am AMAZED at the people on the streets. It’s so festive, with tons of color and creativity in the outfits. People are wearing fairy wings and face paint. There are street vendors everywhere and people are playing instruments on all of the corners, and there’s juggling and the sidewalks are TEEMING with people.
We get to Modern Myths and I get a chance to talk to Jim where I remark on how amazing the spectacle on the streets was.
Me: “This town goes ALL OUT for Free Comic Book Day!”
Jim: “What are you talking about?”
Me: “All the people in costumes and the fairy wings and all the colors.”
A dead silence while Jim stares at me.
Jim: “Dude, it’s PRIDE DAY.”
Yep. First Saturday in May isn’t just FCBD. It’s also Northampton Pride. And, as it turns out, every few years the stars align perfectly, and it’s also Cinco De Mayo. On those occasions, Jim informed me, some SERIOUS hells a’poppin’.
Hugs and kisses,
(The)Travis


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this blog post. I just wanted to let you know that. Good day.

    ReplyDelete